What is Styrelf®?
Styrelf® is a high-performance polymer-modified binder (PMB) bitumen. It is produced by crosslinking bitumen and thermoplastic elastomers, whereby an in-situ, three-dimensional polymer bitumen matrix is created to ensure a homogenous, fault-free microstructure. This makes the product particularly hard-wearing and well-suited to extreme environments.
Styrelf® is the product of over 35 years of constant collaboration between TotalEnergies and the French Roads Administration Laboratory, during which over 20 million metric tons have been sold across the world.
As Europe's class leading PMB technical papers on Styrelf® are peer reviewed and published by Eurobitume and Eurasphalt congresses. Abstracts are published in the USA via The Transport Research Board and Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists.
The Styrelf® range includes:
- Styrelf® X – Polymer-modified bitumen for general-purpose asphalt applications.
- Styrelf® eXcel – Meeting the needs of customers in a wide range of applications.
- Styrelf® eXtreme – High Performance PMB for the toughest challenges. SHW CL942 / CL943 and TS2010 compliant grades.
- Styrelf® ECO2 – Durable and high-performance but mixed at lower temperatures.
- Styrelf® IntaKt – Well-suited for parking and storage areas exposed to hydrocarbon spillages.
- Styrelf® GP – Developed for racetracks, and other high performance applications.
- Styrelf® AP - Improved adhesion for difficult aggregates
Why choose Styrelf®?
Styrelf® has a range of exceptional properties that make it the ideal choice for roads, airfields, bridges and more. Globally used in the most demanding applications, from the Monaco F1 track and Mont Blanc Tunnel, to Hamburg airport.
Demonstrating peer reviewed performance the Styrelf® portfolio offers the most durable PMBs available. For asset managers reduced failure modes such as pot holes, cracking and other hazards reduce whole life costs by extending whole life cycles. Further environmental benefits can be achieved as warm-mix ECO2 derivatives are available for each grade.
Styrelf® key features and benefits
All Styrelf® products come with a multitude of features to benefit customers and end-users – they’re why Styrelf® is Europe’s leading PMB.
- Ageing stability – Styrelf®’s composition reduces oxidative ageing. A long term investigation by the University of Lausanne compared 16 test sections of highway using various binders. The Styrelf (R) test section displayed zero cracking after 14 years remaining the only section still in service after 20.
- Durability – The PMB’s excellent durability means it’s used in some of the world’s greatest race tracks, including Germany’s Sachsenring, the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya and the Circuit de Monaco.
- Elasticity – ith high elastic recovery Styrelf® withstands repeated loading offering excellent fatigue resistance.
- Storage stability – Styrelf’s® homogenous nature and cross-linked properties reduce phase separation enhancing storage logistics.
- Uniform microstructure – Uniform microstructure - remove this bullet point as it duplicates the point in the previous one.
- Rutting and ravelling-resistant – Styrelf protects surfaces against distress and deformation, reducing maintenance costs.
Learn more about the Styrelf range or make an order by contacting our team